Sunday, November 6, 2022

First Holiday Card of 2022

It's a late start, but it's a start! I had wanted to try this glitter technique ever since I watched Nina-Marie Trapani coat a stenciled background with Rock Candy glitter from Tim Holtz. Holy moly, I was fascinated. I had not ever thought of using an adhesive sheet to make my own glitter paper out of patterned paper from my stash.

When my Winter Foliage card kit arrived from Gina K. Designs, I knew... it was time to GLITTER. Who's ready for some sparkle?

A Christmas card with a stamped poinsettia on a glitter coated patterned paper. The sentiment reads "Joyous Christmas".

I started out by creating the lovely poinsettia. I used Pinkfresh inks for the stamping: passion fruit, candy apple, grassy knoll, and olive. I stamped the image in Gina K Black Onyx ink, then used the passion fruit and grassy knoll for the first layer. Next, I used a small blending brush to tap on candy apple and olive inks to add a little shading. I then used my Sakura stardust pen to trace over the lines in the leaves and petals of the poinsettia for a little bit of fun sparkle and die cut with the included die.

I pulled out my stash of holiday themed paper packs and found a few options with a nice match to the color and picked this Noel paper pad from Craft Consortium. The vintage style of the paper was a good partner to the stamped poinsettia.

The sheet adhesive I have is Stick It adhesive--it's been hanging out in my stash for a while. I pulled back the release paper from one strip, adhered the paper down, then gently pulled out the remaining backing strips until I could fit the entire piece on the adhesive. I burnished it well then trimmed it out with scissors.

I pulled off the other backing paper, then poured Rock Candy glitter over the. Whole. Sheet. Two notes. 1-Even working over a piece of paper, I managed to glitter bomb my craft space. 2-Three days later, even after a good cleaning, I'm still finding glitter. 😂  Another note for future me--remove the strips from the Stick It before placing the paper down. I did have some adhesive edges catch and pull away when I slid the backing strips out from under the patterned paper, so there were some areas that didn't catch much glitter. Minor detail, however; I could hide the missing glitter with the die cut, and the rest of the paper was SO glittery it was hard to notice a little bit missing.

I trimmed it down with Master Layouts 1, then added a black layering panel behind it and added it to my card base. I popped up the poinsettia and added a holiday sentiment from my stash.

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out! It was more effort than I want to use for mass producing cards, but it's so sparkly! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will be posted once it is approved. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

Friendship Leafy Cluster Card

 I saw the beautiful stamp, die, and stencil set Friendship Leafy Cluster from Simon Says Stamp and knew that I just HAD to get this set. Th...